sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Help!!!! we are 1 hr away from home, across the canadian

Customer Question

Help!!!! we are 1 hr away from home , across the canadian border our truck just went into reduced power mode and we are pulling a trailer , we cant even make it up this hill right now , its the long weekend , no one is answering their phones , please please help
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2011 chevy 35000 HD
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am , we have done the suggested burn off the particulate and it hasn't worked ,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no , just help please
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

if you disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the battery cables tog ether for 1 minute then reconnect the cables back up to the battery will it still do this ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure , I haven't tried this , should I do that ?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

yes thry that

see if you clear out the computer if it will drive so you can get home

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I will try , will you still be here to help if it doesn't work ?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

i will be here

let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you ,
which battery , there are 2
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

both

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi Gary , it is still in reduced power mode ,
it came on " cleaning exshaut filter" first but then went back to the other message
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

this is going to have to have a scan tool connected to the truck and we need to see the codes set to see what area our fault is in

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do we do that , we are on the highway in the between bonners ferry and the Canadian border , will a tow truck driver have that tool ?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

this has to gdt to the dealer or a shop that works on these Duramax engines

it needs to be towed to a shop i am sorry to say

below is what i think you have going on here

7.Ignoring the message and continuing to drive with the warning message ON and the exhaust filter not being cleaned as required will eventually result in the following:

7.1.The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate at which point the DPF warning message will be displayed and a chime will also sound.

7.2.Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P2463 will be set as a result of excessive soot loading in the DPF.

7.3.The Engine Power Is Reduced message will be displayed. The engine WILL operate in reduced engine power when this occurs.

7.4.Once this occurs, self cleaning of the DPF is no longer possible and dealer service will be necessary.

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can we clean the fitler manually?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

no a shop has to do this with the high end scan tool and if that does not work there may be damage to the DPF system

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can I take the exhaust off , just till we get home
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

no you can not

i am sorry to say it has to get towed to a shop

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we can get a tow here on the American side back to a town but no one is open till Tuesday , please if there is any trick you can tell us to do , just to get back to Canada and home , we will take it to our dealership on Tuesday, we have 2 kids and a dog on a very busy highway right now , please if there is anything .this doesn't sound like its mechanical , something to do with the computer
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

there is no trick we can do i am so sorry

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is this just a computer issue ? or is it mechanical ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks gary that was a real selfish move on your part , you've just left us stranded on the highway , I will not rate you , even a bad rating , hopefully this means you wont get paid ! and remember karma is the great equalizer in this world
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?