Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a 2011 suburban. It power tends to shut down while

Customer Question

I have a 2011 suburban. It power tends to shut down while driving. rpm goes up while pressing the gas for speed, locks are going crazy. Eventually, I have to pull over because I can not keep up with the flow of traffic. Afterwards, I stop, turn the engine off and will not crank up, no power or anything. Later, it cranks back up. I have taken it to the dealership for the same problem more than once.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It fluctuates.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only the dealership has worked on it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all for now. I keep the maintenance up on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you