Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

94 chev 6.5 turbo diesel runs then will not. replaced fuel

Customer Question

94 chev 6.5 turbo diesel runs then will not. replaced fuel filter. replaced fuel lines, had small leaks.ran for an hour,parked overnight,started and ran 5 seconds, quit will not frame rail pump bad? injector pump? not much of a mechanic just need to know what parts might be in question.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

Try starting it with WD40 or starting fluid. If it starts and runs for a bit, the main injection pump is not getting fuel feed from the lift pump on the rail - any of the circuit components, from a fuse to a bad pump could be faulty.

I can provide you with diagrams and guidance through the electrical checks. You'd need a multimeter and the ability and skills to use it. Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tried starting fluid, never really fired. could tell fluid was in system i think. motor clanked at best

If it didn't start on starting fluid, then the issue might be mechanical. A compression check on all cylinders would be the next step - normal compression should be in the 380-400 psi range.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tried again with start fluid. took two tries but started. seems like fuel bleeds off when shut off for extended period of time.yesterday did not use enough s fluid? been running now for 10 minutes. is system losing prime? shop fixed 2 fuel leaks in rubber lines.could rail pump allow fuel to bleed back? going out to shut off and allow truck to sit to hear from u.

The lift pump provides prime, so that sounds like we're back to my first response. Have you gone back to the shop and told them what's going on? If so, what did they say?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started truck at 1 pm, it ran. Came back home at 7 pm and started the truck. Ran for 5 seconds and then lost prime, would not start. Per your conversation rail lift pump bad??

That would be my guess at this point - as I stated before, you would need to perform some tests which results would confirm the pump being bad.