Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Cooling fan, 2002 trail blazer LTZ, i replaced fan clutch

Customer Question

cooling fan
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 trail blazer LTZ
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced fan clutch twice i tested the relay and they are working fine
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: nope i just baught it today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Tell me more about what is going on with the fan, what was the original problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok i had to replace the fan clutch cuz the other one was bad
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now my engine light on
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Do you know what the codes are? If your engine light is on then you have a code. You can get a free engine scan at any parts store for free.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Let me know what the codes are, this will give us an idea of what the problem is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it a code p1481
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Test

1. Did you perform the Engine Cooling Diagnostic System Check? If so, go to next step. If not, go to DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK - ENGINE COOLING under SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM.
  2. Install a scan tool. Start the engine. With the scan tool, observe the Fan Speed parameter in the PCM ENG 3 data list. Does the scan tool indicate that the Fan Speed parameter is 550-800 RPM? If so, go to DIAGNOSTIC AIDS . If not, go to next step.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition. Disconnect the cooling fan clutch harness connector at the shroud. Connect a jumper wire between each of the following circuits:
    • The 5-volt reference circuit.
    • The cooling fan speed signal circuit.
    • The low reference circuit.

Connect a digital multimeter (DMM) to the cooling fan speed signal circuit and ground. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. Manually rotate the cooling fan. Does the DMM voltage change from 0-5 volts? If so, go to step 10 . If not, go to next step.

4. Disconnect the jumper wires. Measure the voltage between the 5-volt reference circuit and the low reference circuit of the cooling fan. Is the voltage measurement about 5 volts? If so, go to next step. If not, go to step 7 .
  5. Turn OFF the ignition. Probe the low reference circuit of the cooling fan clutch with a test lamp connected to battery positive voltage. Does the test lamp illuminate? If so, go to next step. If not, go to step 9 .
  6. Test the 5-volt reference circuit of the cooling fan clutch for a high resistance, or for an open. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to next step.
  7. Test the cooling fan speed signal circuit of the cooling fan clutch for a short to ground, for a high resistance, or for an open. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to next step.
  8. Test the cooling fan speed signal circuit of the cooling fan clutch for a short to voltage. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to step 11 .
  9. Disconnect the PCM. Test the low reference circuit of the cooling fan for a high resistance or for an open. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to step 12 .
  10. Disconnect the jumper wires. Test the cooling fan speed signal circuit of the cooling fan clutch for an open. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to step 12 .
  11. Inspect for a poor connection at the harness connector of the cooling fan clutch. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to step 13 .
  12. Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Did you find and correct the condition? If so, go to step 15 . If not, go to step 14 .
  13. Replace the cooling fan clutch. See FAN CLUTCH under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Did you complete the replacement? If so, go to step 15 .
  14. Replace and program the PCM. See appropriate REMOVAL & INSTALLATION article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE. Did you complete the replacement? If so, go to next step.
  15. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs. Operate the vehicle within the CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC . Does the DTC reset? If so, go to step 2 . If not, system is OK.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks