Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

Engine with a new edelbrock performer intake and a new quick

Customer Question

engine with a new edelbrock performer intake and a new quick fuel carburator. popping sound under acceleration , slight gas smell, fouling plugs.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: ever since new parts put on. sounds like the carb.
JA: What is the model of your '64 Chevy?
Customer: corvette but engine not number match.
JA: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a corvette specialist put the carb and manifold on because of a bad original carb. he's not sure whats causing it. could it be a bad cam?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: engine is exhausted with headers. seems to lessen after long warm up.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 3 months ago.

hello I can assist you . The Popping sound you are hearing can be caused by incorrect valve lash setting or a bad camshaft . Worn camshaft lobes on the exhaust lobes was a fairly common fault with some small blocks some years back particularly on cylinders number 5 and 7 . Not specifically on 327 engines but I would strongly suggest you start there . remove the valve covers and check the rocker arms for movement . Worn cam lobes will be quite obvious as you can visually tell that there is not " full " lift at the rocker arms . check that and get back to me . Aalso over tightened intake valves ( lash ) can give the same issue . Also double check the firing order to make sure it is correct .

how are you making out with your issue ?