Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

01 Duramax, 230,000 miles. Installed new injectors, primed

Customer Question

01 Duramax, 230,000 miles. Installed new injectors, primed the pump, but it won't start.
also, i installed a new fuel filter, primed it with ATF, could that be a problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Is the primer rock hard and does it remain hard after cranking?

What was the original repair reason?

Do you have a scan tool to see the actual and desired fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The primer pumps up, gets hard, but after cranking it gets soft.Engine was " puffing " at idle, plenty of smokeNo, no scan tool

If someone keeps pressing the primer while cranking, will it even make an effort to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't have anyone right now, maybe tomorrow

Would you like to hold off till then or would you like to go ahead and answer with what test to do and what I believe is wrong with the current info?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
  1. Check actual and desired fuel pressure while cranking, should be 5000-6000 PSI (30-40 MPa). The scan tool you do not have is needed for that. See if you know someone with this tool.
  2. Check voltage on fuses: IGNE, IGN0, ECM1, with engine cranking. Must stay above 10 V.
  3. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator, check actual pressure again, with the scan tool.
  4. Remove the fuel return lines from each cylinder bank.
  5. Remove the relay IGN relay, from the under hood fuse block.
  6. Check fuel volume from each hose with engine cranking, 15 seconds.
  7. Should have less than 12 ml per bank.
  8. If more than 12 ml on either bank, then must test each fuel injector fuel return rate.
  9. If any one injector is more than 3 ml after a 15 second crank, replace that injector.
  10. If the flow is less than 12 ml per bank, check for fuel leaking from the fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel junction block.
  11. Should not have any fuel leaking from this valve while the engine is cranking.
  12. If these are OK, replace the injector pump.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris