GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just bought a 1950 Dodge panel van with a 350 chevy engine

Customer Question

I just bought a 1950 Dodge panel van with a 350 chevy engine with a serial number of 10066036. what can you tell me about the engine. The truck came out of an estate sale with no info available.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic with 66000 on the odomitor; but i don't know how many times around.
JA: What is the model of your '50 Dodge?
Customer: Dodge panel van, not sure of the model. i have the serial # if that would help.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we started with the mechanical to get it running. truck is solid & auto parts store (Napa) is NO help on plugs, spark plugs ect.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The spark plug wires were not run to the recommended spot for proper firing; but the truck did start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

Do you know what the code is that is stamped into the block just in front of the passenger side head?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2M0908

Thank you. Let me look this up for you. Be right back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK

Are there any other numbers on the front of the engine just in front of the head on the passenger side head? Can you send me a pic of the area?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No other numbers in the front. these numbers are on the left passenger side. trucks at home, i'm at work.

Can you send me a pic when you get off of work?

The 106 number tells me that the engine is a 86 up engine, but the other number you sent is to short. It should be a 7-9 digit number.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, should be a couple of hours. Any thoughts on the plug wires not going to the recommended spots for proper firing? should i put them in proper order or leave them as is. the truck does fire with the incorrect placement.

Do you know how they are run? the correct fire order is 1.8.4.3.6.5.7.2.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the only correct position is the #3 plug. It should be in the fourth firing position & it is.

How are they run?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
again truck is at home. I don't remember; but I know that they are wrong, not even close to correct. We fired up the truck last night by manipulating the carburetor, so it only ran for about 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer you still there?

Yes I am here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I run the plug wires the way they are supposed to be run? could this create a problem or will it make the truck run better?

First I need to finish looking up what engine you have, but need the correct number, and I need to know how the wires are run. We can reconnect when you get off of work so you can be with the van and be able to give me the data I need to be able to help you get it running correctly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I'll get back to you.

just come back to this chat screen and post a message, I will get back with you asap.