AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

It will start and run with no problem for a few days and

Customer Question

It will start and run with no problem for a few days and than today again it just turns over.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2006 half ton
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery, fuel pump and constripper cap and its gear shalf. Remove any fuse in two boxes and traded out with ign or fuel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3gcec14x26g262195
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! Have you checked for codes? Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What codes you referring too. Im looking at what causes this truck to drive and run fine. Than can try to start most often the next day and just cracks, like not getting fuel or spark. We installed new fuel pump and replace constriped cap along with shalf to it. It ran fine and start when turn off. But it went back to just cracking again. Tomorrow it might just start up and run with no problem. I also changed out fuses with others relating to fuel and ingintion same results.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

There are lots of possible causes. I can list them here for you. Do you kniw if the engine is missing spark or fuel when this occurs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would say yes to spark cant remember off hand if mechanic said anything about fuel after replacing fuel pump.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Does the engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

Does it go off while cranking when it does not start?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
on both
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, then I suspect the engine has spark. This would indicate a fuel delivery issue. You might want to check fuel pressure when this happens. If there is no fuel pressure, then check power to the fuel pump as you might have a fuel pump circuit issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will let mechanic now, will contact back with you most likly monday
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok fuel pump comes on when just turn ing on. Put hand held computer on when running it gives no code. Even ck history of machine. When fuel pump was replace it did run, but in a few days went back to no running, than run a few day later. When replace constripater cap it did start and few days later didnt. When replace shaft didnt start, after 3 days of adjusting it or lining it up it started, than back to not starting. Basically it seems to have to sit for a few days and it starts thinking what we did work but few day later it doesn't.
How would you like us to test if power is going to constriipper cap. Volt meter or old 70 way with spark plug against metel.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Went out and truck started on 1st try. Didn't start this morning. Did nothing to truck. Anything do while it runs or have do we have to wait a few days when truck dont start
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
You can wai till it acts up again to get an accurate reading when you run the test. Let me know
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Put two tester on truck. When running no codes. Than when not running with ign switch on no codes. Than try starting with tester plugged in still no codes and truck didn't start. Now what
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Did you check for spark? Does the engine run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I had help to ck for spark the truck started up. Sense not starting today going have to wait until this evening to try to test that again.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good. I will be looking forward to your reply.