GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just had a brainfart and bought and bought a 99 tracker

Customer Question

I just had a brainfart and bought and bought a 99 tracker after another brainfart I suspect that in spite of the lift kit and oversized tires, that it is in low and hence 45 mph at 3k in third is reasonable. I am used to subarus that do 5k all the time. but this is more like my son's tacoma.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: bald and irrelevant.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Subarus?
Customer: likewise irrelevant, I am asking about a chevy tracker
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: symptom is high revs at low speed, 45 in third gear, possibly 50 if speedo is off due to big tires. I suspect I am stuck in low range and will fix it myself if possible, I will buy another transfer case if that is the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does he/she have more of a clue than you?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 months ago.

how big are the tires? and whats the gear ratio? and have you shifted into 4 low to see if it switches or stays the same?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
30.5 x 10 or something like that. haven't tried to drive in low but I think I am already there. can't get much over 45 at 3k in third.

can you see if it shifts into low? is this a manual shift transfer case? is the transmission shifting into 4th gear?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
engine sounds wound at that point, but it has a tach and sounds more like my son's taco

Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation