Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Replaced the battery, now it won't start, I have lights and

Customer Question

Replaced the battery, now it won't start, I have lights and it is not the starter or the alternator
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Head lights, dome light, I have a horn and the locks work
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2015 Silverado high country
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The battery just needed to be replaced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Could it be the security shut down, because the alarm went off when I connected the battery
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

Did you do the 30 minute relearn on the system after you replaced the battery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did not now anything about that

Here are the steps you have to follow to get it to restart.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It did spark when I tightened the battery bolt, could I have blow a fuse?

More then likely not. You may have had something on such as the dome light from the door open. Try the relearn and see if it will start. If you do not do the relearn it will never start.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is not a security light that is coming on
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

So when you turn key to crank does it click or anything? How are you positive it is not starter?

Do you have a test light? Have you tried moving gear selector to neutral? what was results?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is not the starter, the truck wouldn't start, I jumped it and it started and ran, so I replaced the battery, the alarm went off when replacing the battery and then a spark happened when I was trying to tighten the positive clamp because I touched the wrench to something metal, I removed the negative and tighten the positive. I tightens the negative and again it had a major spark because I touched the wrench up against metal, finally got everything tightened. I am getting the horn and most lightes, no instrument panel
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked for blown fuses? Is the cluster the only thing that doesnt work? There are 3 fuse boxes 1 underhood and 1 on each end of dash. and I would suggest checking fuses with a test light so you can determine where you have power and where you dont. Which will help me help you determine the failure.