Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Third row seat folds up and down but number two lever will

Customer Question

Third row seat folds up and down but number two lever will not disengage the latch to remove the seat
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes but have done nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The rear Matt may be stuck in the latch
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The seat back moves fine the bottom is stuck.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent tried to rock the seat while trying to release it with this lever this should be done.In some cases this will allow the seat to release and then you can inspect the seat latch for any damaged or debris.If this was already tried with no success let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Pete. I did try rocking the seat and jerking it up and down with the lever depressed. It still won't budge. Sprayed it with wd40 too. Not sure how to properly pry on it and I can't see the mechanism to find a pivot point.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

In some cases the latch itself can fail mechanically to where it will not release and this may be the case here.Usually you would pry where the connecting rod or linkage/cable attaches to release the latch manually in some cases but this doesnt always work.In some cases I have had to cut out the old latch to then replace it.You may have to have the seat taken apart as best as possible with the way it is seated to see if you can access the latch manually to trigger it or see if there is anything disconnected needing reconnected.

Unfortunately when this occurs like this here it can be difficult to get it to release and in some cases involves damaging the latch to release and remove it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete