Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 2003 chevy suburban 1500 w/ Bose stock (no OnStar

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevy suburban 1500 w/ Bose stock (no OnStar and no subwoofer). This suburban was previously a Fire Chief vehicle equipped with all emergency gear, lights, etc.
The two rear door speakers do not work at all, yet the rear headphone jacks both work fine. I bought it used so I do not know if the back speakers ever worked at all.
I have read that it could be one or more of the following:
-- blown Bose Amp
-- blown Fuse
-- Blown Speakers
-- wires not properly connected
I am not sure what may cause this and would like to know the diagnosis before I bring to the Chevy dealer. Any advice is appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

I actually just helped another customer with this exact problem on the same truck yesterday. Checking the wiring diagram, I found that there is no separate fuse for individual speakers, just for the independant amplifier and the head unit. The most likely case is that the speakers themselves are at fault (common issue) and that your amp and head units are fine. I suggest that you try to replace one of the speakers with a known working speaker before you do anything else. For my other client, it ended up being 2 bad speakers. These speakers are plug and play so you should find this to be extremely easy!

Hi, this is Josh just checking in to see if you had any further questions for me

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your answer... I am in the process of trying to hook up a known working speaker to see if this is the fix. I will be back to once I know more.

Incidentally, do you know if it is also plug and play to add a subwoofer (this was not originally installed, but I do see a spot for it in the cargo bay).

Thank you,

If you use a factory subwoofer with a factory connector, yes it would be!

provided, of course, that the wiring is there for it, which I believe it should be even if it is not equipped

Also, please take a moment to rate my service today. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Great...thanks!

It will take me a while to see if the speakers need to be replaced, but I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

Awesome my friend, I wish you good luck!

Hi, buddy, this is Josh checking in to see if you have had a chance to check out the speakers yet

Hi, this is Josh checking for an update. I also wanted to remind you to please take a moment and rate my service today. Thanks!

Hi, this is Josh checking in for an update on your progress...I also wanted to remind you about rating my service, please. Thank you !