Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Have a 2004 chevy cavalier, will run good sometimes, then

Customer Question

have a 2004 chevy cavalier, will run good sometimes, then when you turn it off and it sets for a little while, when you try to start it up it will not start, it will turn over good but will not start, have put new fuel pump and filter on it and it will still not start, you let it set for a few days and go try start it up and it will start, what can i do to fix it, only 75000 miles
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is the check engine light on? Have you done any testing such as check for spark or fuel pressure during problem? thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello i need help on fixing this problem
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no engine light on, no i havent done any pressure test, how do i do that
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

A quick easy test is to see if it runs on starting fluid next time problem happens. If not we know problem is spark related, if so we know problem is fuel related. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it will start on starting fuel
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Then next step is a fuel pressure test, you can barrow fuel pressure tester from parts store for free. Fuel pressure should be at last 50 psi key on engine off during problem, if low replace the filter and check again. If still low replace the fuel pump. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.