Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chevy silverado dies while driving and sometimes will crank

Customer Question

chevy silverado dies while driving and sometimes will crank but most the time it doesn't
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Chevy Silverado 3500HD 2008 - Dies while driving. All electric still on. Would start right up and sometimes not even crank. It started doing it more often and starting less. Now it won't even crank. I replaced the Crank position sensor thinking it was that but it didn't work. Any ideas?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you own a test light or volt meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Chris. Yes i do. I have a Volt meter.

I forgot to ask which engine you have?

Battery voltage is good at or near 12.6 volts?

Key on does the instrument cluster power up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a 6.6 duramax.
Yes, batt voltage is good and all electrics are on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jus no crank at all anymore. It used to crank everynow and again.

Thanks, ***** ***** the diagram I will be using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/3500start.pdf

At the ignition switch is there continuity between the pink and white wire when trying to start?

Do you have a scan tool to see if the BCM is getting a start signal and sending out a signal to the PCM. Also to see if the PCM is getting a park or neutral gear position?

At the removed starter relay is pin 30 power and pin 85 ground?

When trying to start is removed starter relay pin 86 power?

If you turn the key on, remove the starter relay and briefly jump a paper clip from pin 30 to 87 does it crank? Does it start?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Moose! I will try those you mentioned. Chat soon.

Super, I log back on later after dinner.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris