Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a 2004 Duramax Diesel with 239k of highway driving. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Duramax Diesel with 239k of highway driving. I do not use the truck for a work / hauling etc. Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed the engine surging at idle. This occurs whether the engine is hot or cold. The check engine light periodically comes on and typically is reset after about 5 starts. The last time I took it to the dealer they said the diagnosis was inconclusive but seemed to point to a crankshaft position sensor. It seems like, from my reading that the fuel pressure sensor might be a more likely issue. Any insight?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stay on solid
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im not that handy with Diesels so no. Will have to get it fixed. I have only tried the fuel treatment and that did not improve anything
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that is about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

The check engine light coming on means the onboard computer has set and recorded a trouble code that has an assigned number. You can get this code (or codes) retrieved for free at most major auto parts stores. We'll be able to tell you more about the issue once we know the code number.