Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 03 impala LS, 3.8. The auto lighting turns off dash

Customer Question

I have a 03 impala LS, 3.8. The auto lighting turns off dash lights as well as night running tail light s any ideas, found one fuse already replaced it no luck. Radio and all other lights also go out. Only when autolighting is on
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Yes they work when manually turned on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and replaced bulbs and checked connections
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not on that issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was anything after market installed at all before this issue occurred or any repairs done recently before this occurred?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No nothing added no work done
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Looking at the components that are connected together with this issue here this sounds like a fault with the BCM (body control module).I have seen the BCM fail in the past before needing replaced for electrical faults like this here.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out this should be done to see if any codes are set in the BCM.This will require a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here.

The scan tool is also used to monitor signals from the BCM to help ensure this is the cause as well as a multi meter to test the electrical signal from the BCM.

I suspect the BCM is the cause here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete