GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I was dropping someone off he got out to get somthing from

Customer Question

I was dropping someone off he got out to get somthing from trunk exhaust sounded really bad and I put car In park it cut off I try to start it but it just clicks 1 time I tested starter and battery both are good what could it be it's a chevy traverse
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

What exactly did the car sound like before you shut it off? Knocking? Ticking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didnt shut it off I put it in park and it cut off it did like a poof the exhaust sounded bad that's why I put it in park
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just put fuel maybe 2 hours before I went on a*****and parked I started it up it cut right off I started it up again it started then I went to drop him off then that's when it cut off it did like a poof noise from exhaust
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Oh ok. I get it.

The engine in the traverse is pretty solid. They rarely have issues, but when they do it is almost always catastrophic.

First, have you checked the engine oil level?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

What year model is your traverse, and how many miles do you have?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2012 lt and it's 150 thousand miles but usually all hwy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry it said to rate response after we were done
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Exactly,

I just add the disclaimer in there for the folks then let me spend hours helping them and then never respond again. ;-)

When was the last oil change?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been about 2500 miles
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But when I raised the hood it smelled like somthing was burned like electric
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

So lets check that oil level first.

I assume the battery is fully charged and the connections seem ok?

How was the starter tested?

I'm concerned that the engine is locked up. Do you think you could attempt to turn the engine over by hand? You will need to remove the passenger side front tire so you can get access to the crank pulley bolt. You will then need a breaker bar or large ratchet and a socket to attempt to turn the crank pulley.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

When you try to start it and it makes the click noise, does it sound like a hard metallic clunk? Or just electrical relay click?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Like a hard clunk I was told that's the starter
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Someone told me it was probably bad fuel
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

It probably is the starter and it's probably clunking against the flywheel, trying to turn the engine over but it's locked up.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Bad fuel wouldn't prevent the engine from cranking over. If it was bad fuel it would crank and crank but probably not start.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The exhaust sounded like put put put then it did like a poof noise
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

It definitely sounds like the engine is probably locked up. You should try turning the crank as I described.