Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

We were towing our boat to the lake and our 1994 Suburban

Customer Question

We were towing our boat to the lake and our 1994 Suburban 2500 down shifted by itself from 4th to 3rd. It would not go back into 4th. At the boat ramp the vehicle was put into park and the RPM was approx. 2000. We decided to return home and the vehicle would not go into 4th gear. Also, the alternator gauge went into the red and the service engine soon light came on. The directional signals also quit working. When we got the vehicle home it would not drop below 2000 RPM and when the engine was turned off, it will not start again. There is power to the windows and the air conditioner. Thoughts? Thank you!!
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The vehicle has 105,000 miles and the transmission is the original. What do you mean by brake switch?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have been home less than 30 minutes but we are NOT mechanics so we have not tried anything but me googling and finding you. :)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The vehicle had 65,000 miles on it when we purchased it so you can see that it is only used for limited activities. Perhaps it has run it's course.........
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

we need to get it scanned with gm scanner or equivalent and retrieve fault codes

but for now lets try this below, let see if that will reset the modules

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat