Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Where can I get detailed step by step instructions on how to

Customer Question

where can I get detailed step by step instructions on how to replace actuator and eliminate thumping noise on 1994 chevy cheyenne 2500 pickup truck.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Actuator motor is located on top of heater case. Remove instrument panel. Unplug electrical connectors. Remove actuator motor. To install, reverse removal procedure.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Instrument Panel and Pad

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

CAUTION

When replacing cluster components on the C/K Series trucks there are several steps which should be taken to avoid damage to Electrostatic Discharge Sensitive (ESD) parts. They are:

Do not open the package until it is time to install the part

Avoid touching the electrical terminals on the part

Before removing the part from the package, ground the package to a known good ground on the truck

Always touch a known good ground before handling the part. You should ground yourself occasionally while installing the part, especially after sliding across the seat, sitting down or walking a short distance

1988-94 Models

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

1. Remove the center accessory plate by lifting from the bottom.
  2. Remove the bolt attaching the lower left compartment door to the carrier and remove the door.
  3. Remove the bolts holding the compartment to the carrier and remove the carrier.
  4. Open the ash tray assembly and remove the screws holding the tray to the carrier.
  5. Remove the tray assembly from the vehicle and disengage the wiring connector from the back of the assembly.
  6. Unfasten the screws retaining the bezel and remove the bezel.
  7. Disengage the headlamp switch and cargo lamp connector.
  8. Remove the radio control.
  9. Unfasten the screws retaining the heater control, disengage the wiring connector behind the heater control and remove the heater control.
  10. Unfasten the steering column filler panel and remove the filler panel.
  11. Disengage the shift indicator cable from behind the instrument cluster.
  12. Unfasten the instrument cluster retainers and remove the instrument cluster.
  13. Unfasten the air duct retainers and disconnect the air duct.
  14. Unfasten the instrument panel pod and trim retainers and remove the pod and trim.
  15. Remove the lower trim panels and the speaker covers.
  16. Remove the five upper carrier screws. There is one screw located under each speaker cover three located in the defroster vent grille.
  17. Disconnect the parking brake handle and cable from the rachet assembly.
  18. Unfasten the hood release handle retainers and remove the hood release handle.
  19. Unfasten the ALDL retaining screws and disengage the ALDL.
  20. Disengage the door jam switch and remove the fuse box cover.
  21. Remove the fasteners holding the carrier to the instrument panel support.
  22. Unfasten the nut from both sides of the steering column, lift the steering column up from the support studs and lower it.
  23. Remove the left and right kick pads by prying them off.
  24. Remove the snap clips and bolts from the left and right bracket mounted studs supporting the carrier.
  25. Remove the carrier and disengage the wiring harness from the back of the carrier.
  26. Disengage the connector to the instrument panel compartment lamp.
  27. Unfasten the bolts holding the A/C duct to the carrier and disconnect the A/C duct.
  28. Tag and disengage all electrical connections to the back of the carrier and remove the carrier from the vehicle.

To install:

Install the carrier in the cab and engage the wiring harness connectors and ground wire.

1. Engage the door jam switches.
  2. Engage the A/C duct to the carrier and fasten the retainers.
  3. Engage the connector to the instrument panel compartment lamp.
  4. Install the carrier brackets to the body studs and the bolts through the body and carrier brackets. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  5. Install the clips over the body bracket studs.
  6. Install the upper carrier retaining fasteners and the fuse box cover.
  7. Engage the hood release cable, the ALDL connector and the parking brake cable.
  8. Connect the carrier to the instrument panel support and trim and install the pod and trim. Tighten the retainers.
  9. Install the lower left and right trim panels.
  10. Install the instrument cluster and tighten the fasteners.
  11. Lift the steering column onto the mounting studs and install the two nuts.
  12. Engage the shift indicator onto the steering column cover.
  13. Connect the heater wiring to the heater control and engage the heater control to the carrier.Tighten the fasteners.
  14. Engage the A/C duct to the pad and install the fasteners.
  15. Install the speaker cover and the left and right kick trim panels.
  16. Install the radio controls, engage the cargo lamp and headlamp electrical connectors.
  17. Install the bezel on the carrier and tighten the screws.
  18. Install the steering column filler panel and the ash tray assembly. Engage the electrical connectors to cigarette lighter and lamp.
  19. Install the strap around the ash tray assembly. Engage the assembly to the carrier and tighten the fasteners.
  20. Engage the instrument panel compartment to the right side carrier and tighten the fasteners.
  21. Install the compartment door and stop cables.
  22. Install the center accessory cover trim plate and connect the negative battery cable,
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks