Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Engine does not shut off with key..........it will stop when

Customer Question

engine does not shut off with key..........it will stop when I pull the alternator fuse......suspect feedback to ignition
JA: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: yes it will hold a charge ths alt fuse
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1995 p 30 chassis
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes...........pulling connectors apart in steering column........it will restart with alt fuse out
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: batterries were low in coach and I was running generator when it malfunctioned
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the model of this vehicle as well as engine liter size?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1995 Chevrolet P 30 chassis 454
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Airstream motorhome
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately my info is limited on this model here so I dont show the diagrams for this model.What I have seen cause this issue here is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself with it needing replaced.With what you have described it sounds like the switch is failing to power down some of the electronics in your model causing this fault here needing replaced.This would need tested further though to be sure this is the cause here before having it replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete