Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

It blows the 10 amp ignition fuse as soon as I turn the key,

Customer Question

Good morning it blows the 10 amp ignition fuse as soon as I turn the key
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Good morning it blows the 10 amp ignition fuse as soon as I turn the key. Sometimes it went about two weeks and happened again yesterday I was stranded for three hours
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?
Customer: 2004 base model Silverado
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I believe it started when I change the actuator in the steering column
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe it started when I removed the faulty shifter actuator in the steering column. I could not start the truck for days after the replacement only to find out that fuse was blown replacing the fuse seem to fix it at the time. About a week or so later I turn the key nothing happened again the fuse was blown I replaced it blew another fuse right away. A few days later I put a fuse in and it started right up has been OK for almost 2 weeks. Yesterday the air wasn't blowing cool anymore so I pulled over to turn the truck off and then back on to see if that would help and it would not turn over once I tried to restart it. The fuse had blown and it blew about eight more in a row of varying sizes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just signed up for the unlimited monthly app should I be going through the app now instead of doing this online?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fuse diagram says IGN E 10A
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Your fine to continue here.

Have you checked the wiring to the shift actuator for any shorts or damage at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is nothing obvious I looked as much as I could for anything that didn't seem right. Also it only happens sometimes after about two hours of the truck sitting on the side of the road yesterday it finally started
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Is your ac switched on when this fuse shorts out and if so can you switch it off then re check and see if it shorts out then and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am pretty sure I have the AC off yesterday because that's what I was originally hoping would start working again correctly
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I will check again
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,let me know if it starts with the ac off or if the fuse shorts out again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just tried it and it started right up just like in eventually did yesterday I did it with and without the Aceon starts right up very puzzling
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In the AC is once again blowing ice cold
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to go out for a few can I pick this up again later?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will have the iPad with me but not the truck
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No problem.If it occurs again or when your ready come back here and post.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Pete but I will have to get to the bottom of it before I can even drive the truck again cannot afford to be stranded again
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No problem.Post back here when your ready.

Thanks Pete