Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Just bought a 2000 and the passenger door won't open from

Customer Question

just bought a 2000 and the passenger door won't open from inside or outside. I pulled the cover off of the internal lever and as I expected the rod had come off,no biggy. But... when I pulled the rod I could hear the latch pull but door still won't open.
JA: What is the model of your '00 Chevy?
Customer: Sorry 3/4ton club cab 4 door
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and as I said I figured the rod just came off the handle, been through a couple of those. Just started troubleshooting really. Now that I can see and feel the latch rod, we tried to open from outside to see if that was hooked up with no luck.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes the door locks and everything work I just can't get the latch to disengage.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am curious if there is a way to pull the interior door panel without opening the door, and without destroying the panel.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

You can remove the inside door panel without opening door but it requires seat removal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I think we can do that since we can get in from the back door. Is there any tips, or a special sequence in removing it I should be aware of before I dig in?
My husband and I are pretty hard core do-it-yourselfers, both pretty mechanically inclined, and have a pretty decent tool supply. I just want to fix it and not have to fix more because we start with the wrong step.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Once you have the screws out the panel is going to lift up and in. Should not be difficult to remove. might be a little tight and require maneuvering it front to back slightly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I should ask first.... is there any other troubleshooting we should do before we head down this path? It's not electrical, the rod is detached from both inner and outer handles.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

There is nothing electrical that will cause this problem. it is a research and repair mission.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thats what I figured. We are going to get the seat out tonight, then pull the panel and see what we got.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

OK I am about done for tonight. I can touch base in morning, Please dont forget to leave a rating. We can always continue this conversation if you have questions later.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.