Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

Won't turn over and the instrument panel is non responsive,

Customer Question

Won't turn over and the instrument panel is non responsive
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 98 Silverado 5.7L 4X4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm trying to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I thought the starter was bad so I replaced it
JA: Does the engine turn over at all? Is this the original starter?
Customer: Not at all. It has full power but it's like the ignition isn't allowing it to start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.The most likely cause is your ignition switch is bad. Not the lock cyl but the switch itself.
Do you have a volt meter? You can test the starter relay. Or just switch it with another. But if your instrument cluster isn't working either then it's most likely the switch.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.
If I have been helpful, please rate my advice positively, it's the only way I get compensated. And it doesn't cost you anything more to do so.Thanks