Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 86 c10 truck that I built a performance motor out

Customer Question

I have a 86 c10 truck that I built a performance motor out of a 454 block, it is now a 496 stroker. the problem that I'm having is that I'm burning up distributors, 3 to be exact back to back all msd street fire. these are the ones that have the coil on top of the cap and module under rotor. everything is connected correctly. power is at 12 volts connected to power on distributor, tach is in its right spot, and the plug in from the module to the coil is in. after truck is running, ill go drive it and once I romp on it the engine dies. my timing is dead on tdc. in park I can rev the engine up with no problem, no timing issue doesn't die. when the truck does die with no spark from the distributor I check for power on the power wire going to distributor, its good. then I check power wire from modular to coil, its bad no power. this has happened all three times. what is going on??????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I have seen some cases in the past before where a faulty tach signal/lead can damage this and cause this issue here as well as any after market tach that may be wired into it if the tach itself has a fault.I would see if leaving this disconnected corrects the fault here.If it does then the wiring needs checked for any issues and if this is all o.k. it is possible the tach itself is the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found the problem it was the factory power wire to distributor. So I hard wired a kill switch from batter to distributor and that solved the problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete