Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

I replaced my alternator but now my car wont stay running, i

Customer Question

I replaced my alternator but now my car wont stay running
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: i haven't done a battery test no the problem i was having is i had to jump start my car every time i needed to start it
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2010 chevy aveo lt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replacing the alternator but no of the car part stores in town have a way to test the alternator and yes i want to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1-do you have a voltmeter ,if you jump start it and get it running you should see 14 volts plus ?

2-do you have 12 volts on battery ?

3-have you hooked up alternator correctly ,did you got back double checked the ground connection and the positive cable on it?

4-how this happened , battery died, car died while running?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't have a voltmeter and i don't know the voltage on the battery it starts but wont stay running
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my battery died and i had i jumped but ive been having to jump start it to start the car every time i want to start the car

if you keep wanting to start it each time , tells me battery no good

you have to check battery or if no volt meter available then trying replacing battery , you have to start here .

if alternator is good and battery no good it will start and die .

make sure the big breather hose to throttle body , is on correct and no hole in it , creating a vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I know my breather hose shredded when I pulled it off to start changing the alternator and I used hose repair tape on it but the engine just stalls out again