GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I bought a 2001 suburban 3 weeks ago. I've been drinVing it

Customer Question

I bought a 2001 suburban 3 weeks ago.
I've been drinVing it every day and love it.
I drove to a supply house from my job site. Came out of the store and it won't crank.
Fully charged battery, but does nothing.
The interior lights don't even dim when I try to crank it. The security light is not on. I need to get back to work.
Here I sit.... in the baking sun...
Help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Usually the only cause of a no crank on these suburbans is a bad neutral safety switch, or a bad starter. Let's see if you can get the starter to crank one last time if it is going out:

Bang on the starter housing with a hammer handle or a wrench then try to crank the engine. Sometimes a bad starter will loosen up and let you start it one, maybe two more times by doing this. If you have a helper you could have them hold the key in the crank position while you bang on the starter- this usually works better.

The starter is on the passenger side of the engine just behind the front tire. Sometimes you can turn the wheels all the way to the left and get to the starter through the passenger front wheel well.