Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have water leaking under my passenger side floorboard 2008

Customer Question

I have water leaking under my passenger side floorboard 2008 chevy malibu ltz
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: yes I am sure
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I believe it is coming from the ac drain. However, I can't find the heat shield/drain in my car
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no that is it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What engine do you have in your malibu?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3.6L V6

Great, thanks for the quick response...your evaporator drain is located on the passenger side of the car near the exhaust. There is a heat shield that is covering it up. I have attached a picture of the drain itself with the heat shield bent back so that you can see it. There is a technical service bulletin for this problem of a clogged drain in the evaporator box. I hope this helps and please don't forget to rate my service!

Do you have any other questions for me? If so, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, please don't forget to rate my service!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering. I see the schematic and understand the general location. But I can't see where the heat shield and AC drain are located around the engine. How do I get deep enough to find it in the engine bay?

You are likely going to have to access it from the bottom

You may be able to remove the passenger side wheel and inner fender shield and get to it

Is this something you are planning on doing tonight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No not tonight. I am not sure when I will be able to do it seeing as I work a very demanding job. I am just worried about what will happen to my car with the water.

I completely understand. My best suggestion for damage control would be to pull back as much of the carpet as you can and put a couple of bathroom towels under there to prevent mildew from forming. Other than that, though, I don't think you would have any problems as the water shouldn't be getting on any electrical components. Remember that you can always ask for more help when you get around to doing the job, even after you have rated my service. Thanks and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much.

Hi, this is Josh just reminding you to please rate my service. thanks!

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you were able to get the job done...If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you were pleased with my service, please leave a positive rating

Hi, this is Josh again checking in. I also wanted to ask you to please take a moment to rate my answer...