Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My mother in law has a 2001 Chevy Malibu that turns over but

Customer Question

My mother in law has a 2001 Chevy Malibu that turns over but won't start. When she bough it from a private party they didn't tell her about this problem. They took it to a shop and they changed the ignition switch and reset the antithieft switch. That didn't stop the car from not starting later on. Now my mother in law has the same problem of the car not starting but turning. It has happened three times. They tow it on a tow truck flatbed to a shop and when they take it off the car starts. No one can tell her what wrong because it always starts at the shop. They say that the car needs to not start for them to figure out what's wrong with
Do u have any ideas.?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded? What confuses you?
Customer: Battery and terminal cables are good and not corroded. Three different mechanics at at a loss about why it starts when the car is brought to them when it was turning over but not starting but it starts when they try it after it was towed to their shop.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. The mechanics say they don't know what wrong and they hate to just guess and fix what they feel is wrong and that not be the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Well it seems strange to me that a regular tow truck brought it to her carport and the car wouldn't start but when they put it on a flatbed to the shop it will start. That has happened 2 times
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

these are challenging when they will not act up all the time to be able to diagnose the issue quickly

we have had many issues with ignition lock cylinders and ignition switches causing this type of issue

if it acted up for you could you see if the engine will somewhat run on starting fluid being sprayed into the throttle body butter fly ?

if it will somewhat run on the spray then we know it is a fuel issue and either no fuel pressure due to the ignition switch/lock cylinder either putting it in theft lock or not powering some fuses for the fuel pump to run

if it will NOT run on starting fluid then check for spark when cranking it over

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer