Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Mechanic is saying it has a bad security module and I need

Customer Question

Mechanic is saying it has a bad security module and I need to bring it to GM to get fixed. Trying to find out if that is the case or it is something I can fix.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt Edition
JA: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I did try. I changed the battery and that was not it. Went to put a starter motor on it but realized it had nothing to do with the starter motor. Now mechanic has it and that is what he just told me. Ill fix it myself if I can figure out what it is and its something I can fix.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes several
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't guess
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

so this engine will not physically crank over at all ?

are there any codes set in the BCM or the ECM ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it will not. Not even turning over. Headlights work. Door locks don't along with stereo and security system. Not sure on the codes.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

if you turn the key ON where it is in run position with the dash cluster lights all lit up and jump the starter at the starter solenoid from the small purple wire to the big power one at the solenoid will it start up and run or crank over and not fire us ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure haven't tried that. It is still at mechanic.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

see if it will crank over and fire up doing that or just crank over and NOT fire up

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

let me know

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

how are you making out ?