Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Coolant pressure high do to cyl pressure, 160k not good

Customer Question

Coolant pressure high do to cyl pressure
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 160k not good milelage per gal
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 impala 3.4l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. Know I got high pressure in both rad hoses with omly cranking at no start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I know it rear bank. Sure head gasket bad. But wondering is head cracking common in the 3.4 engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

i would think your problem is blown head gaskets,,replace both and have the heads checked for cracks..

i wouldnt think the heads are cracked but the blown head hgaskets are common on this 3.4

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Figure head gasket blown. Had sparkplugs out of each bank. When had plugs in bank one head. System generated pressure when only engine cranking. Have a critical time issue. Trying to get around sending head to machine shop for pressure test. Was wondering probability of head being cracked over gasket. I know it only a educated guess

it isnt liklely for this head to be cracked,but is possible,,

i would have a machine shop microflux the heads to check for cracks,too much work not to check them while you have them off

thanks