Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I am considering a 2017 Malibu. Should I get a turbo or

Customer Question

I am considering a 2017 Malibu. Should I get a turbo or nonturbo. Does the turbo require prem. gas? How dies the LT fair against the Premium?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it worth the price to go up to Impala for more comfort. I am a senior.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

The difference between the premium and the LT is basically a larger touchscreen on the radio- by one inch, and larger rims- which some say ruins the ride as it leaves less tire to cushion the road. You also get an aluminum gas pedal- not sure if that's all that important to you.

As far as the fuel types go, no you don't need to run premium in the turbo. It should run fine on regular gas. You may experience better acceleration and horsepower with premium fuel, but most drivers report the same or similar fuel economy.

There are two turbo options, the 1.5l and 2.0l. It seems to most drivers that the almost 100 horsepower difference between the 1.5l and 2.0l isn't noticeable enough to justify the fuel use. On average people are reporting about 20MPH in the 2.0l vs nearly 35 in the 1.5l. So if you aren't particularly set on accelerating like a V6 then you should be fine with the more than capable 1.5l and you get the benefit of much better fuel economy.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

The impala is a very nice vehicle as well. You might notice a little more interior space, but the Malibu is arranged well enough that even taller drivers seem to fit well. As far as getting in and out is concerned, the impala will feel taller and therefore easier for some folks to enter and exit. It is reported that it is also slightly more comfortable on the road as far as smooth ride goes as well.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Do you still need help with this vehicle?