Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I just had the head gasket replaced 4 days ago on my 2005

Customer Question

I just had the head gasket replaced 4 days ago on my 2005 Chevy Equinox. I have had the car for two days, and now I hear clicking and flapping sounds whenever I start the car and when driving. My father insisted on using his mechanic, rather than take it to the dealership which I should have insisted he not do it, being as whenever you take something to this guy to be fixed, something else goes out shortly after.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It just started this morning. It sounds like it is definitely in the engine, but I can't tell where.
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the Chevy to the mechanic to have him fix a blown head gasket. I have only had the car back 2 days and now it is doing this.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanic claimed he reset the valves, and that he had to do it in order to repair the head gasket. In the past, whenever I heard this noise, it was related either to valve cover gaskets or low oil pressure, which I am diligent about changing the oil every 3,000 miles.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First, I want to be clear about what kind of help you are looking for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to know what might be the trouble. My Dad swears by this mechanic, saying he is a nice guy and very thorough. However, I know that I did not have any engine problems whatsoever before this head gasket went out. My hunch would be that the mechanic didn't so something correctly when he fixed the head gasket. I need to know what might be causing this. The check engine light is not on.

So this noise was not present until 2 days after the repair, right?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I gotcha, it sounds like just simply due to the timing of the incident that it is related...I have a few questions first. How many miles are on the engine? Why did you have the head gaskets replaced in the first place? Have you had any other problems with the car in the recent past?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What makes me angry is that I wanted to take this vehicle to the Chevy dealership. I have a problem with this mechanic in general. He is the type that will say there was or is now something else wrong with the vehicle and it needs an additional repair. For example, he changed out a head gasket and then took it upon himself to take send the head to a machine shop for resurfacing, changed the serpentine belt, reset the valves and gave the car an overall tune-up. Now, my car is making a ticking/clicking noise, and also a flapping sound. All I wanted him to do was replace the head gasket.

I would be upset too in your position. There is nothing worse than being taken for a ride by someone and not being able to do anything about it. In addition to my other questions, I also want to know if this guy has any kind of warranty or guarantee provision.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The engine has 49,000 miles on it. I have never had ANY engine problems whatsoever in the past until 2 weeks ago. I was sitting in traffic and the car began to overheat. I pulled over as quickly as possible and shut down the engine until it cooled. Then I drove home. The next morning, my car was blowing white smoke from the tailpipe. I knew right then and there the head gasket was blown. The guy did offer a one-year or 12,000 mile guarantee. The point is I don't know why he took it upon himself to tune up the engine, replace valve cover gaskets, reset valves (which more than likely needed to be done anyway) and send the head (which he said were damaged) to a machine shop for resurfacing. He took $3,000 from my Dad for all of this, and I don't think anything but the gasket itself needed replacing. It would have been $1,300 tops at the dealership.

I completely understand, I think it sounds like he could have taken advantage of you guys but it is really hard to say if you weren't given the opportunity to approve the additional repairs. at my shop, I will recommend spark plugs and valve cover gaskets and machining but it is all recommended before service or during if the problem is found. I could never have it done and then charge for it later without approval.

It sounds like your best bet is to demand that he look at the car again at *NO CHARGE* as he has already charged you enough already and find out what it is. It sounds to me like something has come loose inside the valve train, or that something has been dropped into the valve train. This vehicle has overhead valves and that is a distinct possibility.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. If not, please don't forget to leave me a positive rating if you were pleased with my service.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your situation...are you still in need of help?

Hi, it's Josh again checking for an update...are you still in need of assistance? If you are not, please don't forget to rate my service

Hello, this is Josh checking for an update.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im finished. ThAnks for the help

Great! Good luck on getting your problem resolved! Please take a second to rate my service as this is the only way that I am graded as an expert. Thank You!