Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

2002 suburban, 5.3l flex. Engine stopped running, will not

Customer Question

2002 suburban, 5.3l flex. Engine stopped running, will not start now. Suspect it might be the fuel pump. Checked fuel pump relay, its ok. When I turn the ignition to on (not start) I do not hear the pump come on to pressurize the system. Any other troubleshooting to confirm its the pump?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

To confirm the pump is the cause (which it most likely is as this is most common) you would need to test for power and ground at the fuel pump connector itself at the fuel tank.The gray should have at or near 12 volts with the key on the first 2 seconds and the black should have a ground.If it does then pressure needs tested with a fuel pressure test gauge threaded onto the test port on the fuel rail on the engine.The fuel pressure should be around 54 to 60 psi with the key on the first 2 seconds or when cranking the engine.If there is power and ground but no or low pressure then the pump needs replaced.

Make sure the fuel pump relay clicks the first 2 seconds the key is on.

In some cases you can have someone hit the bottom of the fuel tank around the middle with a hammer while you try and start the engine.If it starts or tries to start then the pump needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete