GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Electrical problems. Everything completely cuts off. Battery

Customer Question

Electrical problems. Everything completely cuts off. Battery reads 1.4 volts. Second new battery installed. Best Wal Mart has. 930 CCA.. I can jump it off and let it run a while and battery shows 12 to 13+ volts. Then it will set for two weeks and checking the battery daily with no reduction in voltage until all of a sudden, battery is completely dead. When I last replaced the battery, I went into Wal Mart with the previous battery - 10 months old and dead. The clerk asked no questions, looked at the battery without asking how old it was or even what the problem was and told me "just go get another one. There were no prorated charges - nothing. Made me suspicious that they must know something about this battery. I put that new battery in and everything was good for maybe five weeks. The radio would go off driving down the highway or just start changing stations. I might drive into my driveway after a 60 mile trip , get out start walking into the house and press the remote lock button and nothing. no locking, no chirp. But if I jump it with a portable battery, It cranks up and runs.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes /I checked with volt meter. I have changed many. I have built and restored cars for years. I had a 1984 Eldorado that I noticed one night that the interior lights were on setting outside locked up. I found that problem to be a blown fuse for a switch that must be energized for the circuit to be off. As I remember, it the delayed shut-off switch. I replaced the fuse and all was well. Don't know if the Tahoe has something like that or not.
JA: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The Eldorado is long gone but yes , I fixed it. All I've tried with the Tahoe is checking circuits to try to find a possible parasitic drain or short or something. I have added circuits to this one but it was when it was new and no problems until lately. I don't find anything wrong. When I say added circuits, I mean phone chargers and radar detectors etc, but I go to cigarette lighter sockets for power.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That pretty much covers it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What you are describing sounds like a connection problem more than a bad battery problem. Have you checked the connection on the battery? These screw-in side post battery terminals tend to get corroded or rusted and have a poor connection. It sounds like you are pretty well-versed in automotive electrical so I imagine you have checked but I would be remiss not to ask

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My battery has top posts
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?

I'm sorry, I am here. I thought that one used the side post battery terminals, my apologies. Have you checked the connection on the top post for tightness and cleanliness?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!