AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Chevy cavalier. Purchased recently. A/C worked great

Customer Question

2002 Chevy cavalier. Purchased recently. A/C worked great when I bought it. Super cold. After 5 days AC stopped working. bought can of leak detector. Tried to fill it and the can blew up at the fitting. Checked pressure with a gage and it said 150lbs. Released pressure with inlet valve, Clutch won't engage. Gage shows just in the line between green and blue so freon is a little low. Must have let out too much. Checked relay. It's good . fuse is good. clutch just won't engage. Any solutions short of a new compressor?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Not the clutch on the car. The clutch on the AC unit!
JA: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just typed up all that I've done. in my first post to you.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've pretty much explained what the problem is and what I've done so far.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. The most likley cause of the AC compressor not activating is due to the freon being low. Before replacing any component, you will need to get the system evacuated and recharged to the proper amount. I bet that will do the trick. If not, then jumper the AC switch and see if the AC compressor comes on. If not, check for power down at the AC compressor. If there is power but the compressor is not coming on, the compressor is bad and will then need to be replaced.