AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Giving P0401 code over and over again. The GER is replaced

Customer Question

Giving P0401 code over and over again. The GER is replaced and all the gaskets are replaced and the intake manifold is also cleaned, Plugs and plug wires replaced.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Its a Chevy Malibu 2004, V6 , LS. Yes this is the first time dealing with the issue
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have help from a mechanic. As said before Giving P0401 code over and over again. The GER is replaced and all the gaskets are replaced and the intake manifold is also cleaned, Plugs and plug wires replaced.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My current mechanic says that the problem is because of a faulty computer and I am looking for solution. All the mechanic is saying is he gave up
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. This problem is caused by a software issue with the PCM. The PCM will need to be updated or programmed to the latest calibration in order to fix this code. Once this is done, the code will no longer come up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you know how much this cost typically?
What's the best place to get this done.
Also when I wait at a signal, the car is running ideal and it tries to pull forward and seems like a pressure build up. Any comments, will the PCM cause this?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

The best place to get the computer flashed is at the Chevy Deaership. This cost about 70 to 80 bucks.

If the vehicle is ilding high and is pulling forward more than usual, I suspect the engine has an air or a vacuum leak that needs to be addressed or the TPS is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also recently my key broke and the Chevy dealership make a new key. Will they update the PCM software or only part for the key?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

They will only do what you ask or authorize them to do. You will need to make it clear which service you would like done. But be sure to get any engine performance issue fixed first before getting the PCM updated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Final question: will the TPS gives the P0401 code?
Thank you very much. I will reach out to you for any future questions.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Generally speaking.. no, the TPS will not cause a EGR code. However, in rare cases, it is possible if the wiring is shorted that is shared by the TPS and EGR the computer may get confused and cause this code.