Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

First abs light on the dash then a couple more lights came

Customer Question

first abs light on the dash then a couple more lights came on and then the battery light and guages started to quite working and car went into limp mode with rough shifts and only powering the engine is it just the altinator dying or what else could it be?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: the first time it happened yes the car is an 01 chevy malibu and the battery die couldnt tell how old it was so i replaced it and the problem was fixed for a day so the battery isnt the problem and fuses were good
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am a uti student so far ive only checked fuses and replaced the battery now researching to find other possible causes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: car has 208k miles on it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today...

From what you are describing here, it sounds like there is a problem in the charging system. Very likely, a failing Alternator. When these dash lights are lit, this is a common sign of a fault in the Charging System. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please rate or accept!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Were there any other questions you had on this issue? Any other info I can provide that may better assist?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you find the problem? Was it the Alternator? Were there any other questions you had on this? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

..