GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

While driving the speedometer is reading erratic. I have

Customer Question

while driving the speedometer is reading erratic. I have changed both sensors on trans. plus the one on side of tail shaft.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: no codes as yet. By the no. 4l80e
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: '93 Chevy Silverado K2500, standard cab 454 engine TBI, PB< PS< Cruise
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Like I said have changed both input and output speed sensor which are located on side of trans., plus vss on tail cone
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what, where
Category: Chevy
Expert:  shawn24_91 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, from what I am seeing in your description I would say the most likely problem is the dash itself. Chevy trucks in the 90's and early 2000's had lots of issues with the dash going bad. I have had to replace many of them for needles bouncing not just the speedometer but other gauges as well. This normally is not a sensor issue as when the sensor fails the gauge will not read at all or will read steady but inaccurate. I hope this is enough information to answer your question.