Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe and I accidentally kicked the side

Customer Question

Hey I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe and I accidentally kicked the side of the car trying to press down on the parking brake on the left. Now, the door chime goes off whenever door is open but it wouldn't before. Is there a way to fix it? Would I have to remove the chime box?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want to still hear the chime when key is left in ignition but just not for the door, since it just continues until closed
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately the same chime operates the door open as it does the key in the ignition so if you removed it this would disable the key in the ignition chime as well.The decision is up to you but the chime is a rectanbular box under the dash on the drivers side behind the emergency brake pedal and looks similar to this below as you can see with the small round vent holes in it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvbv59w1p1q1qcf/chime-08-21.jpg?dl=0

One thing you can do is the door chimes are controlled off of the small plungers on each side of the dash that the door presses against when closed.What you see below.You can tape these in or pry them out and unplug them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3834knx0ihbk6v/switch-08-21.jpg?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete