Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My brother (age 72) has lost the key to his Camaro Iroc and

Customer Question

My brother (age 72) has lost the key to his Camaro Iroc and also the door key. Where can I find one to replace it? It's a 1989 Model. If you have two, I will buy both ignition keys. Do I need a door key or just get a local locksmith make one?
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: No we don't. That's why I'm writing to you!!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping that you could help me find a replacement Chip ignition key.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, two Chevy dealers said it was too old to get the "code" for the ignition key. I have the total VIN # if you have sources that have surplus 1989 keys.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Unfortunately the VIN number doesnt do any good in making duplicate keys, otherwise anyone could write down the vin number for your vehicle found at the left front corner of the windshield and have keys made and steal the vehicle.

The only way to have a key made when the existing key is no longer available is by the key code, which back in 1989 was on a small rectangular stamped pellet found with the owner's manual and on file with the car manufacturer.

GM doesnt keep those for this long and as you found out.

Unfortunately these leaves 2 possible choices.

The first is to have a locksmith come out and remove the key cylinders and check the tumbler pattern and make new keys that way.

The seconds choice is to replace the key cylinders with new ones that come with their own set of keys

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.