Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My 2003 carlo ss is shifting hard...we just replaced the

Customer Question

my 2003 monte carlo ss is shifting hard...we just replaced the brakes and drums and it wasn't doing it before that? what is wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Scan for codes and let me know what you find. A common problem is a line pressure code in the trans which will cause a hard shift when the trans is warm.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

This will usually set a p1811 code.

Another common trans problem is the 4th gear clutch hub stripping out. Which will cause a long shift and will set the code. This code creates max line pressure in transmission, that is why it will shift hard.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is it safe to take a road trip?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I had a grand prix that did the same thing and I drove it that way for years.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician