Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

1997 Astro Van. From dead stop acceleration gives very loud

Customer Question

1997 Astro Van. From dead stop acceleration gives very loud clunk and van shakes. Continued acceleration causes it to repeat. A shop put on all new tires, rebuilt brakes, new brake master cylinder. Thought was bad rear end. Replaced from junk yard. Still has same problem. Several mechanics say both rear ends were bad but not sure. Could it be transfer case or drive shaft bent or universal yokes??
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: Shop put new tires all way around.
JA: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Shop doing the work. See what I said ... much replaced including rear end.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

Has the mechanic been able determine where the clunk is coming from? Does it do it during power-braking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No they are closed for weekend. Does it on even light acceleration from a stop and is like a big loud bang and van shudders violently and if continued acceleration it does it repeatedly.

I'm sorry, but I need more information in order to make an assessment. I'll opt out so others may try. Don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

another expert here this sounds like a worn mounting - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you