Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

My car cut out. First my battery light came on yesterday, &

Customer Question

My car cut out. First my battery light came on yesterday , & today it cut off & my lock key came on
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 malibu
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes until I can get some place for help
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think i need oil
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you have a failing Alternator. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing and rate or accept!