GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Need help on a 1998 Chevy C 1500 with a 4.3 L V-6 engine.

Customer Question

Hi, need help on a 1998 Chevy C 1500 with a 4.3 L V-6 engine. Have two DTC codes coming up P0118 and a P1345. We changed out the distributor and therefore there is no "white alignment mark" on the new distributor. We lined it up in the same position, and have moved it around a little bit to the left and the right. But obviously have not got it correlated yet. Any trick to doing that?
The other question is on P0118 code, that will be referring to the single wire engine coolant temp sensor in the driver side cylinder head? Because the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold is reading fine according to the scanner.
Thank you in advance, Richard.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

First off how does the truck run?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

The truck runs fine, if you drive it long enough it will start to "hick-up" and/or miss out while accelerating. Which are symptoms of the P0118.

This code refers to the two wire sensor in the intake called the ect, engine coolant temp sensor. the one wire sensor is the coolant temp sensor for the gauge only. The pcm does not see the readings from the one wire sensor. Have you replaced the ect?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yes we have. And as I said in the beginning it reads correctly as the temperature warms up in the engine I can read it on my scanner.

Have you checked the reading when it starts to act up?

I have seen them drop signal or jump way up after the engine has warmed up from a longer drive, and the pcm will change the amount of fuel it lets into the engine to make up for the temp change.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay, my guys had cleared out the computer when they were trying to get rid of the 1345 code while adjusting the distributor. So I need to find driving again until I set the 0118 code again and then I will see what the snapshot looks like on freeze-frame. It's possible we have a defective sensor.

Anyway, any thoughts on the distributor correlation… So I can get rid of the 1345 code?

Let me see what I can find on that problem. See if it will reset this code after you drive it.