Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

Will not shift into gear.. shifter moves but nothing

Customer Question

will not shift into gear.. shifter moves but nothing happens
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: trans 1 yr. what brake switch
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 trailblazer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. i drove it to work and now i cant leave
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: dont know what to try
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So what has happened is the shifter cable has come loose from the lever on the transmission. You need to crawl under and reattach it. It just presses on. This will just allow you to shift once or twice before it falls off again. You need to replace the bushing in the cable. Make sure to set the ebrake before crawling under it.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
The bushing can be bought after market. Go to advance or autozone and get a dorman part, part number 14055.It's not the easiest thing to change but it will fix it.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this? Was my information helpful?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Sonny

Do you still need help with this problem? please let me know. If I have been helpful please rate my help.

Thanks

Sonny

Thanks
Sonny