Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 2002. Has 90k miles. Began [not starting at times]

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo. Has 90k miles. Began [not starting at times] recently. In the morning starts with no problem. Might drive somewhere and it won't start back up. Will turn over, but not crank. Let it sit for a hour or two, usually starts again. Getting spark, changed fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump recently. (getting 40psi on fuel rail) It has a open recall for the ignition switch that I have not taken care of yet. When running, it runs perfect; no missing, no hesitation, etc. Read a lot of forums, they are all over the place. Almost sounds like a BCM? Someone said that the ignition could possibly cause this. Also saw a lot of similar problems out there for this year Monte.
When key is first turned on, the battery light, the security light both blink alternately. Don't know what to do......
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the security light is blinking when trying to start or when you release the key when it will not start this usually indicates that this is a security/theft component at fault needing replaced.I have seen issues with the key itself as the cause in some cases needing replaced as well as the immobilizer that reads the key but also the control unit which is the BCM for the security system can also cause this here.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set with this issue here.Once this has been done the codes can then be diagnosed to locate and correct this fault.This has to be done with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers on your model here.I suspect one of these components listed here is the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete