Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

I have two different messages that periodically come up but

Customer Question

I have two different messages that periodically come up but don't stay on. One says service trailer brake system and the other says battery charging system failure or something like that. The truck is driving normally at all times. The trailer brake warning comes on quite often but the batter warning is only periodically and usually in the evening when the headlights are on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I haven't checked the fuses.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Nor the bulbs. It's a 2008 Silverado Z71
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to fix it myself but I'm not a mechanic. I haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When the trailer brake warning comes on, there's no trailer attached. I don't know what other information I could provide.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Any time these messages come on it because the computer system is seeing a fault and when this happens the computer will detect this and set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is causing these warning to come on you need to start with having the system scanned to retrieve the fault codes and or codes. If you can get this done and post back with them I will help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went to Auto Zone and had them scan the system. They tested the battery and said it was fine, that maybe the alternator was going out . No help.I took the truck to a mechanic and he tested the battery, and it failed. So I bought a new battery. I haven't seen the battery charging failure warning anymore, but the "Service trailer brake system" warning is still popping up here and there. It isn't there all the time, just occasionally. I Googled it again and found one site where the guy said the ABS fuse was the problem, so I checked the fuses for both the ABS system and all fuses having to do with the trailer system, and they all appeared fine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way, the mechanic who advised replacing the battery is supposed to be checking the brake system warning, but I haven't heard back from him.