Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My 2001 duramax with 241,000 miles drove fine 40 miles. I

Customer Question

My 2001 duramax with 241,000 miles drove fine 40 miles. I shut it off for 20 minutes. It spins fast but will not fire. Will start on squirt of ether but last obly as long as the ether.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Lights work. Spins fast.
JA: What is the model of your '01 Chevy?
Customer: 2500hd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done all my abilities allow.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Last week50 miles ago, I thought it would be good to check the fuel filter because there was a slight "lope" to the engine at idle. The truck drove fine 75 mph for 40 miles to where it did not start after 20 minutes off. The injectors were replaced at 198,000 miles 7 or 8 years ago. I put a lubricity additive in today's ultra low sulfur fuel at fillups.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the fuel filter was only checked and was not replaced 50 miles ago it is possible that it is now restricted needing replaced.I have seen these restrict causing an issue like this here needing replaced.I have also seen issues with one or more fuel injectors leaking fuel back through their return or into the cylinders causing lower then normal fuel rail pressure needing replaced.This is definitely a fuel issue with a fuel filter or injector most likely with what you have described and will need checked/tested further to pinpoint the cause here.If the fuel filter was not replaced I would start with having it replaced to see if this resolves the issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete