Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Silverado won't start. Had same problem.previpisly. Replaced

Customer Question

Silverado won't start. Had same problem.previpisly. Replaced battery, starter, checked fuse box, etc... with they ignition key turned I was fiddling with the engine compartment ignition fuse, it sparked and the vehicle started and no issues for months. Today while driving I turner the AC fan to 5 and the fan cutout, dash warning lights came on but vehicle remained running. Got home and parked the truck and tried to start it - nothing. Tried pulling and reinserting the eng comp ignition fuse with key turned and it almost turned over once. ( this fuse had previously been replaced when troubleshooting and the fuse itself is joy the problem / possible a short?)
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 Silverado z71
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's in my first post
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nop
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

which exact fuse where you touching ? can you upload a picture of it ?

and BOTH battery cables are clean and tight at the battery and where one power wire bolts to the under hood fuse box that is clean and tight ?

what size engine is in this truck ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
V8 engine ... Battery, connections wires and starter are not the issue. The fuse in question is the engine compartment ignition fuse ... #5 on the fuse box legend. Large square fuse with 4 prongs. Delphi 8864.This was the culprit months ago but the actual issue was never diagnosed, the truck just started when removing and reinserting it.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

which one here ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The gray lg square one on the far right ... There's a silver magic marker marking near it
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

this is a 2001 1500 pick up with a 5.3 engine in it ? the picture i sent you was for a 2001 your box is alot different

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oops sorry 2003 - and that fuse is labeled the ignition fuse
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

ok good that is the relay called IGN 1 it powers most of the circuits

right now if you wiggle it will any power come back ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have interior lights, power locks , headlights... No radio, fan, ignition.With the key turned if I remove and reinsert the fuse there is flatly and clicking in engine (fuel pump?) and the nothing. Once when doing this there was a partial crank.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

are any of the terminals black or brown on the relay showing the terminals are arcing ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not seeing that , no
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

what you have going on and it common with these fuse boxes are usually terminal internal issues that will cause bad connections on the relays or internal in the box the circuit boards go bad

there is no way to take them apart to repair them if the relay is new and the terminals in the box are making a good connection to the relay terminals then i am sorry to say the under hood fuse box would need to be replaced

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Happen to have a ballpark $ on that?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

usually you can get one for @ 100 off of Ebay v/s a new one that will run you 300 to 300 range

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?