Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

On Chevy how to remove front rotor without using a hammer

Customer Question

Hi! I'm trying to remove the front rotor without using a hammer. Is that possible?
I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox. We have done everything to remove the tire and now just need to get the rotor off so we can get it turned.
I have brand new tires and had no past problems.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.
If need be place a 2x4 piece of wood on the backside of the rotor and smack the wood with the hammer, turn the rotor 180 degrees and smack it again, then keep doing that.
I see though, there may be one small rotor bolt. I believe that is just to hold on the rotor while rolling down the assembly line at the factory, but you will have to remove it first if there is one.
Plus, sometimes it helps to smack the rotor with a hammer in between all of the studs to loosen it up if there is rust.
This diagram shows that brake rotor bolt.